Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Transformers (Robots in disguise) the Film!


Well yesterday I finally saw Transformers at the cinema. All I can say to start is wow and I really enjoyed it. I was never a great fan of the cartoon version as I think it was a little after my time as a child, however I always liked the idea. I was vaguely aware of Optimus Prime and Megatron and co. but don't have a great attachment to the original comic or cartoon versions. This I feel was good as I didn't bring any baggage to watching it.

I only noticed one bit of ropey CGI which was a point when Bumblebee turns back into the car and drives off. Apart from that I was very impressed with the special effects. The plot was thin but who cares. Bib powerful life giving cube, lost on earth, Autobots and Decepticons are after it for different reasons. Boy connected to it through grandfather etc...

I thought the humour was well pitched against the action. Particularly the Autobots trying to hide in the back garden while Sam's parents are giving him a hard time about parental type stuff. Great big robots trying to bend into corners and around the house in an effort to not be noticed, brilliant. There was plenty of eye candy for the boys and girls in the audience and I am talking about the older ones here. Ladies, apparently the main soldier bloke is particularly gorgeous! Yes my wife came and watched it with me and did enjoy it and not just because of him! I thought the analyst girl plot strand was wasted and I hope she wasn't just there for the men in the audience. Of course if big hunking robots slugging it out is your thing then there is plenty of that too, oh yeah.

Anyway, getting carried away here so go see the film if you want to more or less switch brain off and be very entertained for a couple of hours.

1 comment:

Nick Payne said...

Your thoughts seemed to be very similar to my own with regard to the film.

There were a few people who were annoyed with the amount of padding... but the cost of shooting a CGI heavy scene... such as a transformation sequence was prohibitively expensive.

Now that the film has proven it's commercial viability though... the budget will probably be increased next time around.

Rumour has it that it will feature the Dinobots.... and like i said in my own blog entry, I hope they cover the comic Dinobot genesis arc and not tha of the cartoon.